LendingTree Survey Finds More Than 80% of Americans Plan Post-Vaccination Splurge
That's according to a new report from LendingTree. However, not everyone is quite so ready to spend — 15% of people say that in the wake of the pandemic, they'll never feel financially secure again.
- 82% of those planning to get vaccinated will splurge on something to celebrate afterward, such as a fancy dinner out or a vacation. That includes 30% who plan to splurge almost immediately after vaccination and 52% who said they'll wait a while before doing so. Millennials are more likely to be planning a celebratory splurge than any other age group.
- 15% of consumers said they'll never feel secure in their financial position again, even with the promise of a vaccine bringing an end to the pandemic. Women were nearly twice as likely as men to say that (20% vs. 11%).
- Even after a vaccine, many Americans will continue to save as much as possible. 55% said they'll keep saving as much as possible in case the pandemic returns, while 37% will ease up on savings a bit but continue to sock money away. Just 8% will stop saving once vaccinated.
- 72% of respondents have splurged to feel safer amid the coronavirus pandemic. The most common splurges include grocery delivery (30%) and high-quality face masks (25%).
- Most consumers who splurged to feel safe said they'll continue spending extra on at least one thing even after the pandemic, primarily grocery delivery and first-class travel. However, there are some things consumers won't go back to even after a vaccine is widely available, especially dining out and going to the movies.
That split is the pandemic's economic impact in microcosm. Many Americans are thriving financially, having benefited from staying at home, reducing their spending and paying down debts while maintaining their jobs and their incomes. Millions of others, however, have been devastated financially in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic and are struggling just to keep the lights on and food on the table.
"Hope is an incredibly powerful thing, and the fact that it's beginning to rise after the year we've all just been through is unquestionably a good thing," said LendingTree's Chief Credit Analyst,
To view the full report, visit: https://www.lendingtree.com/credit-cards/study/80-percent-americans-plan-post-vaccination-splurge/.
LendingTree commissioned Qualtrics to field an online survey of 1,205 Americans, conducted
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/lendingtree-survey-finds-more-than-80-of-americans-plan-post-vaccination-splurge-301207741.html